Sweden is a popular destination for students from India and many, with Indian students, including Kerala making up the second-largest group of international students in Sweden. Swedish universities offer various courses and programs, including undergraduate and graduate degrees. If you are interested in studying in Sweden, you can contact any Sweden education consultants in Kerala for assistance in the admission process.
Swedish Education System
The Swedish education system is divided into primary, secondary, and higher education. Primary education is free and compulsory for students between the ages of 7 and 16.
Higher Education includes universities and colleges offering Bachelor’s degrees, Master’s degrees, and doctoral degrees. Admission requirements vary depending on the level of study and the institution. There are also vocational programs at some universities which provide short courses in specific areas, such as business administration or engineering. There is a lot of interest from Indian students to join vocational programs as they are free and job-oriented skilled programs.
Requirements to Study in Sweden
If you are an Indian student planning to study in Sweden, you must meet specific admission requirements. The general conditions common to all Swedish Universities are proof of English proficiency (IELTS Score: 6.0 and above), proof of adequate money to cover your living costs while studying in Sweden, and a valid passport. Other requirements may vary depending on the type of course or program you want to study.
The tuition fees for international students in Swedish institutions vary depending on the institution and program you to choose. Generally speaking, all universities in Sweden charge tuition fees for Indian and other non-EU/EEA students.
Tuition fees for Undergraduate Courses
Range from SEK 80 000 to SEK 120 000 per academic year (Approximately Rs 7 Lac to 9 Lac).
Tuition fees for PG Courses
PG Program’s tuition fee ranges from Rs 645,000 Lac to Rs 190000, depending on the course and institution.
Cost of Living in Sweden for Students
The cost of living will depend on the city and the student’s preferences. The average expenses range from $700 to $10000 per month (INR 52000 to INR 82000/Month), including accommodation, food, transportation, and other costs such as books and leisure activities.
The cost of accommodation is the biggest issue for international students all over the world. In Sweden, student accommodation costs range from 250 to 600 EUR/Month ( Rs 17500 to 52000) depending on location and type of accommodation chosen.
Part-time jobs for Students in Sweden
1. Freelance Writing: Sweden is a great place to find freelance writing jobs, as many companies require talented writers to help them with their projects.
2. Online Tutoring: If you have a good command of English, you can earn some extra cash by tutoring students online from your home.
3. Translator: There are plenty of opportunities for students fluent in Swedish and English to find part-time work as translators.
4. Steward: Working at a cafe or restaurant is one of the readily available for students worldwide. In Sweden also, it is an excellent way for students to make extra money while gaining valuable experience.
Part-Time Job rules for International Students in Sweden
1. International students in Sweden are permitted to undertake part-time jobs while studying; however, this must not interfere with the student’s studies. There are no fixed rules regarding students working hours in Sweden. But students in Sweden are expected to spend a minimum of 40 hours a week on their studies.
3. International students must obtain a work permit from the Swedish Migration Agency before beginning paid employment in Sweden.
4. According to Swedish labor rules, foreign workers must receive at least the minimum wage set by the Swedish government.
5. Employers may require international students to provide an original copy of their valid passport and residence permit as proof of their legal right to work in Sweden. You can check Swedish Public Employment services for more details:
Requirements to Work in Sweden
In order to apply for jobs, international students must meet the requirements, which include having a valid residence permit and a job offer from a company in Sweden. They must demonstrate fluency in Swedish or English, depending on the job.
Several options are available for students who want to work in another country after completing their studies in Sweden. The opportunities include working holiday visas, International Experience Canada programs, and Working Holiday Maker agreements with other countries.
Post Study Permit for students in Sweden
International students who have completed their studies in Sweden may apply for a post-study work permit. This permit allows them to stay in Sweden and look for work or start a business within one year of their studies.
To be eligible for post study permit , students must:
• Hold a valid residence permit as a student in Sweden for at least two years.
• Have graduated from a course of study at an institution recognized by the Swedish government;
• Have obtained at least 55 credits during the two years of study.
• Have health insurance coverage and financial capacity to support themselves during their stay.
• In addition, applicants must submit their educational documents and proof that they have sufficient funds to support themselves during their stay.
Job Opportunities after study in Sweden.
International students who have completed a course in Sweden can apply for various jobs. Depending on their educational qualifications and experience, they may be able to find employment in their field of study. Major job sectors are IT, Healthcare, hospitality, retail, engineering, etc.
Weather n Sweden
The weather in Sweden varies depending on the season. During summer, temperatures can range from 15-25°C (60-77°F) with lots of sunshine and clear skies. The winter months are much colder, with temperatures dropping below 0°C (32°F) with snowfall. Rainfall is consistent throughout the year.
Requirements for PG Admission in Swedish Universities
Generally, most universities in Sweden require the following for admission to postgraduate courses:
• A relevant bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualifications from a recognized university.
• English language proficiency certificate like the IELTS.
• Proof of sufficient funds to cover tuition fees and living expenses in Sweden.
• Personal statement or motivation letter outlining why you are applying for the program.
• Copy of the passport
• Application fee (if applicable).
Documents required for Sweden Study Visa from India
1. Valid passport and copies of previous visas (if any).
2. Acceptance letter from Swedish educational institutions.
3. Evidence of enough funds such as bank statements, study loan approval letters, etc.
4. Proof of tuition fee paid.
5. Proof of English language proficiency, such as IELTS or TOEFL (if applicable).
6. Curriculum Vitae (CV).
7. Statement of Purpose (SOP) explaining the student’s reason for choosing a particular course and university/college in Sweden.
8. Medical fitness certificate
9. Health Insurance
Top Universities for International Students in Sweden
1. Lund University: Founded in 1666, Lund University is one of the top universities in Sweden and offers a wide range of courses for international students. Courses include English language and literature, business, economics, engineering, computer science, mathematics, etc.
2. Stockholm University: Another top university in Sweden, Stockholm offers a range of degree programs in English and Swedish. Programs are available at both undergraduate and graduate levels and cover a variety of fields, including humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, etc.
3. Uppsala University: Established in 1477, Uppsala is one of Sweden’s oldest universities and offers many international student programs. Courses are available in English and Swedish across many disciplines, such as law, economics, medicine, and more.
4. Chalmers University of Technology: Chalmers is dedicated to engineering and technology-related studies. It has an excellent reputation among employers worldwide due to its high-quality teaching standards. The university also provides extensive research programs for Ph.D. studies abroad.
Some universities offer scholarships to international students, which can help reduce the cost of tuition. Swedish Scholarships include,
- Wedish Institute Scholarships for Global Professionals
- Lund University Global Scholarship Programme
- Mälardalen University Scholarship Programme
- BTH Scholarships
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarships for International Students
- Adlerbert Study Scholarships at Chalmers University of Technology
Study in Sweden -FAQ
How much does it cost to study in Sweden from India?
The cost of studying in Sweden from India will vary depending on your university and location. Generally, tuition fees for international students range from SEK 80,000-150,000 (approx. INR 6.3 lakhs to 11.2 lakhs) per academic year. Other costs like accommodation and living expenses come to approximately SEK 8500 (INR 67,000) per month.
Is Sweden suitable for Indian students?
Yes, Sweden is a great option for Indian students. It offers many excellent universities and opportunities to gain valuable work experience while studying. Additionally, the cost of living in Sweden is relatively low compared to other European countries, making it a favorite destination for Indian students.
Can I settle in Sweden after completing my study?
Yes, you can settle in Sweden after studying. After completing a degree program in Sweden, you may be eligible for the “residence permit for studies .”This permit is valid for 12 months and allows you to stay and work in Sweden during that time. To apply for this permit, you must have a job offer or be self-employed, have enough money to support yourself financially, and have health insurance coverage.
Is Sweden cheap to study?
It depends on the specific university and program. Generally speaking, studying in Sweden is less expensive than in many other European countries. Tuition fees are lower than those of the UK and USA universities. Additionally, the cost of living in Sweden is slightly lower than the EU average, making it a more affordable option for international students.
How much money do I need to study in Sweden?
The cost of studying in Sweden varies depending on the type of program and institution you choose. However, as an international student, you should expect to pay tuition fees ranging from around SEK 80,000 (Approximately Rs 7 to 9 Lac) per year for a Bachelor’s degree up to INR 7 to 9 Lac per year for a Master’s degree. You will also need to consider other expenses like accommodation, food, and transport.
Do international students get jobs in Sweden?
Yes, international students are allowed to work in Sweden. There is no fixed working hours for part time jobs for students.
Can students get permanent residency in Sweden?
Yes, in some cases, international students may be eligible to apply for permanent residency in Sweden. To qualify for the PR, the student must have lived in Sweden for a minimum of five years on a residence permit to settle permanently.
About Sweden and its People
Sweden is known for having one of the highest standards of living in the world, with a strong economy and a low unemployment rate. Swedes also have free healthcare, education, and generous social welfare benefits. Read what a Swedish Student says about Kerala.
Things to Know before moving to Sweden
To know more about going to Sweden for studies, and register yourself please visit this website.
How Sweden Education Consultants in Kerala help you?
Sweden Education consultants in Kerala can help students study in Sweden by providing them with detailed information about the various Swedish universities and program options available, helping them select the best universities and courses that suit their needs and interests. Study in Sweden consultancies in Kerala can also guide you about Swedish student visa rules, arrange accommodation, and assist with other related services. In addition, they help with an education loan, cultural advice, and advice on how to make the most of life while studying abroad in Sweden. Are you planning to study in Sweden and looking for guidance ?
Intersted? Get in touch with the top study in Sweden Education Consultants in Kerala for assistance and free guidance. Send Enquiry for More Details
Study in Germany -Free
Study in UK Without IELTS
Study in France